By tobystephens, May 14 2016 08:56AM
Before we talk about treating alcohol poisoning, it is probably a good idea to learn about identifying it. How would you know that a person is subject to alcohol poisoning? Most medical professionals advise people to look for the following signs to determine whether the patient is suffering from alcohol poisoning or not. The top ten signs that point towards alcohol poisoning are as follows:
3. Breathing difficulties
4. Paleness of skin or discoloration of skin
5. Decrease in body temperature
6. Passing out and not being able to wake up
7. Mental confusion
10. Loss of balance
Related article: How long does alcohol poisoning last?
What is the medical treatment for alcohol poisoning?
Before we discuss home remedies and treatments, it is important to be aware when to seek medical help. With someone's life in the balance, it is always important to have professional advice. The first thing a medical professional will do is pump the patient's stomach. This way, all toxins that may be in their stomach will be removed and stopped from causing more damage. This procedure is referred to as gastric irrigation in medical terminology.
The procedure is fairly simple; the doctor places a pipe down the patient's nose into the stomach, slowly add saline water into the stomach, and suction it out. This process is repeated over a series of times until a clear liquid emerges from the stomach. Once this procedure is done, the doctor may prescribe some additional treatments in accordance with the patient's condition.
It is crucial to note that the treatment for toxic alcohol poisoning should never be attempted at home. As long as the alcohol poisoning is not intoxicating, one can try to do depending on the severity of the situation. It is always advised to see a medical professional if the situation worsens since it is a matter of life and death.
Home treatment for suspected alcohol poisoning
The first and most important thing to do is to differentiate between toxic and non-toxic alcohol poisoning. If the patient under question can stay conscious, chances are that it is non-toxic alcohol poisoning. However, if you are unsure, please see a medical professional immediately.
Stay with the patient at all times and observe their behavior. If they run to the bathroom to puke, know that vomiting is a natural way of getting rid of the toxic matter inside the body. It your job to make sure that they don't choke on their vomit or lose consciousness as that is a serious threat. Keep the individual hydrated at all times. This will help with the vomiting as well as the loss of water from the system.
Make sure you keep them conscious at all times and hydrated with non-alcoholic fluids. If you are aware that the patient has mixed alcohol with other legal or illegal drugs, please make sure that you refer to a medical professional immediately.